NEP 2020 has proposed that children should be taught in their mother language or regional language so that they can adopt the methodology of learning easily. It is true that a child learns his/her mother language right from day one. The concepts, sound, skills, surroundings, recognitions, and many other things are introduced through mother language in most of the homes. Hence it holds an unseen and unwritten bond with the child. Imparting quality education comes with many factors said and unsaid but the most influential factor is the LANGUAGE. It is the most common mode of communication and communication becomes much easier when done in the first language. Let us get some ideas on why learning in mother tongue/ regional language is significant.
- Affects development: our aim in educating a child is ultimately to give that child knowledge. A study reveals that intellectual and cognitive development is faster in children that are fluent in their mother tongue. It ultimately leads to a better understanding of the topic taught and a higher success rate as compared to one who learns in a foreign language.
- Clear concepts: A child when learns in a foreign language, he/she struggles a lot in doing constant conversion of that language into the mother tongue to understand better. It is easy for a child to lose interest and divert somewhere else as one has to make constant conversions. While learning in the mother tongue, a child understands directly, and hence, it keeps them stuck to the topic. Hence a child comes up with a better understanding of that topic and has clear concepts.
- Mastering the language: children learn the English language in school and parents speak a native language at home. In the initial years, children cannot quickly adapt to both languages at the same time. Hence, they fail to understand both the languages and you will see delayed learning of the topic. Apparently, children fail to gain proficiency in both languages. There are constant confusion and conflict to translate words and thus it bores them quickly.
- Learning another language: a study shows that children who are firm in speaking their native language can quickly learn a second language. When you are fluent and capable of reading and writing in your native language, you have a higher literacy skill that helps you learn a second language easily.
- Building confidence: imagine yourself in Spain and you don’t know to speak in Spanish. You will not feel confident or comfortable, right? The same is what happens to our little learners. Children feel comfortable and homely in school if they get such an atmosphere. When a teacher communicates in the native language, children enjoy learning and feel comfortable. This comfort level helps in building their confidence.
- Positive energy: when children learn in a foreign language, they try to translate and then understand. This builds up stress in their mind and keeps them dumb-minded until they learn the language. When taught in the mother tongue, their energy flows in the correct direction creating a positive atmosphere. It eventually helps in better learning.
Conclusion: the English language is overshadowing all the other languages these days. Learning in a native language will keep its essence intact and roots strengthened. There is nothing wrong with learning more than one language but do not forget that benefits lie in imparting education in mother language.
Collegebol brings more such interesting articles and genuine college reviews directly from students. Follow us on our social media handles to get updates.