The COVID-19 pandemic changed the scenario of the entire world and its method of working. The aggressive virus left behind no choice for us but to shut down everything and just stay home. The academic year was about to get over or some were about to start the new academic session with their dear children. Unfortunately, schools had to keep their doors shut for the staff and the children for their safety. The school and college authorities understood that the situation is not going to change that soon. At the same time, it is not possible to hold on to the education of students for a longer time. What can they do to ensure that the children don’t have to attend school and even then education can go on? The only way left out was to start classes online and almost all the schools and colleges started doing that.
The concepts and the formulas remain the same but the method of the teacher has changed. With online education, the teacher and a student have come on a virtual platform for interaction. Conducting online classes for students was a good decision for students but let us see what impact it has on education.
- Comforting: Online classes are comforting to both, teachers and the students. You know, there is no chance of remaining absent in the learning session. A teacher and the students both are enjoying online session at the comfort of their own houses. It is making a positive impact because there is usually 100% attendance.
- Singular focus: Students are able to focus better when studying online. It is because they sit alone in a room when the session is going on. In a classroom, there are chances of distraction from the surroundings due to some of the other reasons. Studying from the online sessions at home means that they are only focusing on the lectures. There is almost no distraction at all.
- Increased engagement: Most of the teachers provide a video or a link to the topics that they will take up in the coming session. Now, this is the benefit to the students. They will see the video or links and prepare themselves for the coming session. This will have a positive impact and they will engage themselves during the session.
- Absence of physical features: The presence of students and teachers in a physical classroom brings more creative efforts while learning. Whereas learning online means it mostly lacks the sharing of ideas, brainstorming. Students many miss the funny statements led by a teacher or a student during the classroom session.
- Keeping it interesting: Teachers are putting up all the efforts to make their session interesting to the students. If she/he is not tech-savvy then they may face some difficulties in conducting online sessions. This can lead to boredom while studying to the students.
- Lack of resources: Schools and colleges have a lot of learning resources on their campus. Often teachers and professors make use of these resources to teach students in the classroom. To name a few like the periodic table, geometry set for teachers, maps, models, laboratory experiments, and many others which otherwise make learning fun are lacking in online classes.
Thankfully most of the schools and colleges ensure that the education of the students is not disturbed. We appreciate all the teachers who are contributing to the online sessions for the students. Just as every side has two coins, online classes have a positive and a negative impact on education. It is upon us to follow and decide which side we shall make stronger.
The CollegeBol team is always ready to bring the latest information, expert’s session, and much more to the students. Do follow and like us to get updates about information related to education.